Wednesday, January 04, 2006

So

Now that I've told my parents I might as well tell anyone who doesn't play City of Villains. Boss lady informed me on Tuesday that for a number of well founded reasons she would not be extending me a permanent contract after my probation period ended on January 31st.

Me: Huh, you've uh made up your mind then?

Her: Yes Tom I'm afraid so and, (science science, mistake of mine, more science) so...

Me: Yeah, huh.

So that left me feeling fairly sad. I don't know about you but feeling sad is no fun for me, so I thought I'd share with you how I managed to feel better. First I browsed the internet for a while until I found this picture. And looking at it made me smile. Then I searched some more and found this one too. And then I just left both of them open and flipped back and forth for a while. That made me if not exactly happy, then a whole lot less sad. Then I came across another picture all together the opposite of the two above. At first it shocked me, and then it made me feel pretty horrible. I'll link to it, with the caption that I found on the BBC website.

...Casualties on all sides continued to rise, with over 2,000 US soldiers having now lost their lives in Iraq. Many Iraqi lives have also been shattered, including this young girl whose parents died when their family car came under fire from US forces in Tal Afar.


I won't comment on that, it rather speaks for itself. But I will say that after a few minutes of thinking and flipping back and forth between the first two pictures I realized that, yeah, what's happening to me is pretty bad, but fucking shit, compared to probably 99% of the human population I have a perfect life. Even without a job.

So if your curious, that's where I'm at right now. Also talking with my Mom helped a lot since, oddly enough, as I've gotten older her advice has become much more sensible. We'll see what the next few weeks bring. Feel free to comment, like my brother did when I told him about this.

Sean: Wait, you were doing that at work? No wonder they fired you.

Sensitive lad. The only other big news is that I've shaved and now I can feel my chin for the first time in over a year. And let me tell you, it feels wonderful. Mmmm.

No comments: